Franz Kaindl

1932 Brand-Laaben

The Austrian painter, graphic artist, musician and mosaic artist Franz Kaindl was born on November 32, 1932 in the Stollberg district of the Brand-Laaben municipality and is considered to be a representative of moderate abstract art. In 1950 he graduated from high school in Waidhofen an der Thaya. From 1950 to 1957, he studied painting with Elsner, Josef Dobrowsky, Herbert Boeckl, Sergius Pauser, Franz Santifaller and Robert Eigenberger, and furthermore with Franz Santifaller sculpture at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts.

Franz Kaindl has lived in Gaweinstal in the Weinviertel region since 1957. As a young artist, he there shaped the cultural history of the place by painting numerous pictures with motifs of it and its surroundings. In addition, he had a considerable influence on the creation of the brass band Gaweinstal and worked as their band leader until 1978, later he led the local church choir. Since his election in 1972 as president of the State Association of Lower Austrian Art Associations, he has designed many exhibitions. In 1975 he founded the Documentation Centre for Modern Art in Lower Austria in St. Pölten, which he headed until 1995.

In 1989 he was awarded the Jakob Prandtauer Prize for Science and Art for his outstanding work. He was also honoured many times by the municipality of Gaweinstal.