Max Weiler

1910 Absam - 2001 Vienna

Max Weiler was born in Hall in Tyrol in 1910. From 1930 to 1937, he studied painting with Karl Sterrer at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and was himself appointed director of the Academy's masterclass on painting in 1964. Besides his canvasses, he created a significant series of both ecclesiastical and secular murals, together with mosaics, glass paintings and ceramic murals. Weiler‘s pictures, which initially were still naturalistic, quickly developed into a characteristic version of lyrical abstraction. Numerous public commissions, international exhibitions and awards reflect his pre-eminence as an artist. He died in 2001 in Vienna.